Monday, August 2, 2010

Hot August Gardens

The begining of August is always hard for me as a gardener.

I don't wake up easily. I'm a bit of a night owl but you can't garden in the dark, so I find myself trying to pull weeds in the heat of the day. August is also the month when my garden looks a bit raggedy. The beans arn't mature yet, nor have the zuchinii or tomatoes started to come into thier own, but what lettuce, spinich, and choi is left has bolted. The peas just look scortched and sad (except the snow peas.. hmm? Something to remember for next year?) Everything seems to be holding it's breath for the big growth spurt that is about to happen and the final, large harvest.

I'm going to be a fertilizing fool this month. Get out the poop! My big goal is to wake up early enough to have a few cool hours in the garden to really work without passing out from heat stroke. This goes against my nature. Wish me luck.

Here is a good recipe for pesto base for those people trying to process thier basil before it goes to seed...

2 cups packed basil leaves
salt to taste
1/2 cup myzithera cheese (or parm is my second choice)
2 cloves garlic

Blend above ingrediants in a blender with olive oil until a nice paste forms. Put in muffin tins sprayed with oil and freeze. Remove the next day and put in a sealed container. To use: defrost one "muffin" and blend with 2 tablespoons of pinenuts. Mix with hot pasta.

1 comment: