Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brewing for Oktoberfest Part II

After we returned the grain to the mash-tun we started to sparge. Whenever another home-brewer asks me how Kris and I sparge I would tell them it's a personal question. The word "sparge" sounds like a bad rash or an illicit activity to me. Really it involves draining as much liquid from the mash-tun while using the soaked grain as a natural filter. We use a "fly sparge" which looks like an inverted lawn sprinkler over the grain bed.

At this point the kids came home from the movie they were at and I was informed by all three of them that dinner must be made, so I missed the rest of the activity.

Kris finished the batch by boiling the beer in the kettle, chilling it down, dry hopping, and putting it in the conical fermenter in our shop.

We should end up with 20+ gallons of German ale style beer. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment